Since 2012, Said Afifi has explored the tenets of postmodernist architecture, often adding a chaotic and utopian dimension to the genre, drawing outlines of a cold and sterile aesthetic. While maintaining a position of observer, he tries to question the political, social and economic circumstances that have led to the advent of ultra-modernist architecture. In the Donatella series, Afifi evokes the issues behind chirurgical procedures that are planned as architectural process, and the impact of this pursuit of a perfect aesthetic on the evolution of human species. (From http://1-54.com/london/artists/said-afifi/)
- What do you think of when thinking of the sub-contenent of Africa?
- What about African Art? What are the materials? What themes are explored by it's artists?
- How do these artists use built on the cultural traditions of Africa?
- How are they influenced by other cultures of the world?
- How does this work explore the issue of identity?
- Consider how viewing the work of these artists in photographs or video might differ from looking at it in person. How do viewers use technology when imagining a work of art in real space and time?