Cao Fei (born 1978, 曹斐) is a Chinese multimedia artist born in Guangzhou. Cao's work, which includes video, performance, and digital media, examines the daily life of Chinese citizens born after the Cultural Revolution. Her work explores China's widespread internet culture as well as the border between dream and reality. Cao has captured the rapid social and cultural transformation of contemporary China, highlighting the impact of foreign influences from America and Japan. (From Wikipedia)
- What forms can fantasy take? Which fantasies are socially accept- able and which are not? Why? How are fantasies expressed or real- ized in everyday life?
- How do the definition, understanding, and expression of fantasy change or evolve from childhood to adulthood?
- Are dreams the same as fantasies? In what ways are they similar or different? What is the relationship between fantasy and reality?
- How do these artists use fantasy to animate the everyday world? How do they use fantasy to empower and/or enact alternate reali- ties and identities?
- What are the elements of fantasy in the works of these artists? Describe the visual elements that signal the presence of fantasy.
- Consider how viewing the work of these artists in photographs or video might differ from looking at it in person. How do viewers use fantasy when imagining a work of art in real space and time?